On the occasion of the birthday of Late Sir Anerood Jugnauth (SAJ), GCSK, KCMG, QC, PC, the Prime Minister, Mr Pravind Kumar Jugnauth, accompanied by his spouse, Mrs Kobita Jugnauth and children along with Lady Sarojini Jugnauth, paid a tribute at the Samadhi of SAJ at the SSR Botanical Garden in Pamplemousses.
Sir Anerood Jugnauth, born on 29 March 1930 in the village of Palma, became one of the most remarkable and respected politicians of the country by serving twice as President of the Republic, and six times as Prime Minister. He passed away on 03 June 2021 at the age of 91.
The memorial tribute organised by the Ministry of Arts and Cultural Heritage was marked by a symbolic planting of a Rudraksha tree by the Prime Minister. Originally from the Elaeocarpaceae family, the tree’s beads are known for its healing properties. A photo exhibition retracing the highlights of the personal life and achievements of SAJ was also organised at the Château Mon Plaisir.
Several Ministers including the Deputy Prime Minister, Mr Louis Steven Obeegadoo and other dignitaries paid their homage at the Memorial Monument of SAJ.
Early Years and Milestones in the life of SAJ
• 1935: Attended Palma Church of England Aided School
• 1947: Studied at Regent College, Quatre Bornes
• 1949: Taught at New Eton College, Rose Hill
• 1951: Studied law at the University of London’s Lincoln Inn, England
• 1955: Returned to Mauritius as a Lawyer
• 1956: Joined local politics and elected President of Palma Village Council
• 1963: Elected Member of Legislative Council under the banner of Independent Forward Bloc
• 1964: Elected Councillor in Municipality of Vacoas-Phoenix
• 1965: Appointed State Minister for Development and participated in London Constitutional Conference for Independence of Mauritius
• 1967: Appointed Minister of Labour
• 1967-1969: Appointed District Magistrate
• 1969: Appointed Crown Counsel
• 1971: Appointed Acting Senior Crown Counsel
• 1971 – 1976: Acceded to the presidency and leadership of the Mouvement Militant Mauricien party
• 1976 – 1982: Appointed Leader of Opposition
• 1980: Awarded status of Queen’s Counsel
• 1982: Elected Prime Minister for a first mandate
•1982 – 2003: Became Leader of the Mouvment Socialiste Militant party
• 1983 & 1987: Elected Prime Minister with a second and third mandate
• 1988: Knighted by Queen Elizabeth II
• 1991: Elected Prime Minister for a fourth mandate
• 2000-2003: Elected Prime Minister for a fifth mandate
• 2003-2012: Assumed Office as President of the Republic of Mauritius
• 2003: Decorated as Grand Commander of Star and Key of the Indian Ocean and presented with Pravasi Bharatiya Samman at Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas in India
• 2014: Elected Prime Minister for a sixth mandate
• 2017-2019: Took Office as Mentor-Minister